The Caffeine and Ephedrine stack is famed to be effective for fat loss, so in this article we take a look at the evidence so you know exactly what to expect from these two supplements.
Caffeine + Ephedrine Studies
- Dieting obese patients lost 26% more weight when taking 20mg/200mg of ephedrine/caffeine 3 times a day for 24 weeks than those who didn’t.
- Non-dieting patients lost 214% more weight when taking ephedrine (75-150mg), caffeine (150mg) and aspirin (330mg) daily for 2 months than those who didn’t. That is 2.2kg of weight loss versus 0.7kg in the placebo group. 
- Dieting obese women lost 4.5kg more body fat and 2.8kg less lean mass when taking 20mg/200mg of ephedrine/caffeine 3 times a day for 8 weeks.
- Dieting obese children who took 10mg/100mg of ephedrine/caffeine 3 times per day for 20 weeks lost 1220% more fat than those who didn’t (6.6kg versus 0.5kg).
There are hundreds more studies with similar results. Almost all of the results are positive, so the Caffeine and Ephedrine stack definitely seems effective at burning fat. Stick to the recommended dose to avoid any unexpected issues.
Heart rate and blood pressure can be somewhat increased for 24 hours after taking ephedrine and caffeine, so keep your workout intensity controlled. You don’t want to surpass your regular maximum heart rate, so keep your intensity below 90% of your maximum. That means avoiding sprints and HIIT.
Ephedrine is hard to purchase in some countries including the US – Why is Ephedra Banned in the US? Simply put, since ephedra contributes to fat loss (which is good for the heart) but the increased heart rate caused by ephedra can lead to death, the FDA considers the consequences to outweigh the benefits.
- The effect and safety of an ephedrine/caffeine compound compared to ephedrine, caffeine and placebo in obese subjects on an energy restricted diet. A double blind trial. Astrup A, Breum L, Toubro S, Hein P, Quaade F. [Go Up ↩]
- Ephedrine, caffeine and aspirin: safety and efficacy for treatment of human obesity. Daly PA, Krieger DR, Dulloo AG, Young JB, Landsberg L [Go Up ↩]
- The effect of ephedrine/caffeine mixture on energy expenditure and body composition in obese women. Arne Astrup, Benjamin Buemann, Niels Juel Christensen, Søren Toubro, Grete Thorbeka Ole J. Victor, Flemming Quaade [Go Up ↩]
- Safety and efficacy of treatment with an ephedrine/caffeine mixture. The first double-blind placebo-controlled pilot study in adolescents. MOLNAR D. TÖRÖK K. ERHARDT E. JEGES S. [Go Up ↩]
- Comparison of an ephedrine/caffeine combination and dexfenfluramine in the treatment of obesity. A double-blind multi-centre trial in general practice. Breum L, Pedersen JK, Ahlstrøm F, Frimodt-Møller J. [Go Up ↩]
- The acute and chronic effects of ephedrine/caffeine mixtures on energy expenditure and glucose metabolism in humans. Toubro S, Astrup A, Breum L, Quaade F [Go Up ↩]
- Caffeine, ephedrine and their combination: effects on blood pressure and heart rate. R Bordeleau, D.G. Bell, I. Jacobs, J. Zamecnik [Go Up ↩]